Thursday 8 July 2010

Mark Ward

Hi Mark,

I have been admiring your work. I am in my final year at Stockport College. I do appreciate that you're probably busy, but I wonder if you'd mind answering a few questions......


Obviously you're unafraid of using vibrant colours, is your intention to shock the viewer with the vividness?


Nope- my pallette comes from my distorted view on Americana. It stems from candy wrappers, Saturday morning cartoons and varsity sports.



Do you work alone or have a team assisting you? And what is your opinion on this?

I work alone. For me it works best and I have complete control of my work aesthetic. If I come up with a grand concept that would need a Warholesque factory setup then I guess I would. It gives me more satisfaction to know all the work involved was created purely by me. I'm open to collaboration though if the right opportunity arose.


You use various mediums, do you have a preffered way of working? If so why is this your preference?

I have various methods due to the final output. If I need to do a magazine cover with editable elements, then it's pointless painting it. It needs to be A scalable vector file. For personal work, I like using aerosol and ink on paper or canvas due to the way the two work together. The colours pop and people look twice. They often think it's screenprinted. Rings true to the old method of making cartoons also with flat cell paint and ink.


Would you recommend using agencies straight after graduating?

Everyone has a different path. Whatever works for the individual.


Do you do promote yourself in any other way than through the internet?

Yes- magazines, t-shirts, collabs, my agent...


I especially like your skateboard works for Blueprint, how do you decide whether or not to use symmetry?


I don't think too hard about it. I wanted to do my take on a already distinct aesthetic of Blueprint. They use a lot of symmetry in their graphics... The concept usually drives my forms. The way I execute it is my aesthetic. You have to use both to create interesting work

Thank you very much for your time.


Yours sincerely,


James Peters.

No comments: