Monday 26 July 2010

James Yang

My name is James Peters, I’m working on a blog for my illustration course (Degree) at Stockport College. The reason I am contacting you is because I will be fending for myself as an illustrator and I am scared about the concept of finding work, I have been looking at your work and dreaming of being as talented as you. I was hoping you wouldn't mind answering a few questions, please. I understand you may be very busy, but any time you could spare would be greatly appreciated.


[1] How did your experience at Virginia Commonwealth University have an impact on your work?


VCU at the time had a heavy influence from the Bauhaus school so there was a big emphasis on type, design, and concept. I was also lucky to have Phil Meggs as an instructor at the time who later wrote, "The History of Graphic Design". The appreciation for design helped me understand how illustration could be used in the context of design. I was also lucky to have had some talented classmates which always helps with your development.


[2] You frequently use the colours pink and blue a lot, is there a reason as why?


Not really. Joseph Albers was an early influence on how I think about color which is colors are very relational. I tend to think more intuitively now about colors and have been trying to simplify the pallet since I think this makes work seem more colorful. Hopefully this makes sense.


[3] Do you work hands on and finalize digitally, mostly digital or another way?


I sketch ideas on tracing paper then scan them into the computer. Most of the work is done in Photoshop. Occasionally I will scan inked or brushed drawing and elements to use in the final, but most of the work is done digitally these days.


[4] How open to change are you with a client and do you send them multiple concepts or variations?


I am very open to changes and will normally give the client 2-3 sketches. More than that makes you seem indecisive and sometimes too much choice is a bad thing for the client. It's my job to communicate a message the client needs. The tricky part is sometimes what they suggest is not what they really want, they just don't know how to communicate what they really mean, so you have to break it down and figure out what the really want. Most of my art directors do a good job of distilling this.


[5] Would you recommend joining an agency straight out of University as means of finding work and getting your work out there?


No, it's better to work for a little while on your own so you can learn the business. It helps you to know how to interact with clients, you learn about business practices, and will help you be more effective in working with an agent. The agent needs things from you to be successful so it helps if you've had experience on your own.


[6] Do you have any tips on what clients want to hear?


(reassurances). They mainly want to hear that you are listening to them and paying attention. I also like to let clients know when they can expect sketches and final so they are not wondering if you are on top of their project. Simple things like that.


[7] If any, which agencies have you used and do you have any favourites?


I've only been with the David Goldman Agency, so I guess he is my most and least favorite!


[8] You have given many talks and lectures do you have any words of the wise about the industry?


The best piece of advice is try to be a first rate you and not a second rate Picasso. Also, if you can have a healthy "dissatisfaction" about your work so you keep searching and improving, this is a big help for a long career. Staying in one place is fatal.

No comments: