Wednesday 24 June 2009

Shoji Hamada – Bottle 1931



Hamada’s Anglo-Japanese style of pottery was innovative as he was influenced by Bernard Leach and set up his own pottery in St. Ives. I feel that colour is important here. Whilst my preference is usually for lighter colours I do like this vase’s earthy colours. The ‘slip’ is a lighter mix of clay, which is a fern colour which contrasts well against the darker brown glaze. I may use these colours in future as I find it paradoxical that ordinarily these colours are mixed together as camouflage in the army, yet in this instance they are used to bring forth the leafy Japanese motif.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, it was Shoji Hamada who influenced Bernard Leach and build him kilns in St. Ives. Leach was trained as a painted but was invited to UK as a potter. He asked Hamada to help him. Read Bernard Leach's book: A Potter in Japan.