Thursday 13 August 2009

Jesse Reno

First and foremost, I would like to reference Jayne Allen-Whittingham here as I read her post with interest. Jesse Reno was a dedicated autodidact as she had no formal education and simply drew her inspiration from a combination of contemporary pop and primitive ancient cultures of Africa and South America. She's inspirational to me as I would simply like to illustrate and do not feel that the critical studies side of my degree is especially relevant to the type of material I would like to produce. The pretentious art critics who adopt their own spin on their interpretation of other's work cannot possibly be inside the artist's head and therefore cannot appreciate raw expression. In the majority of cases, art critics overemphasize the art's semantics, resulting in incorrect information about the work as a whole and often mistakenly miss the simplicity and humour that the artist wanted to convey.



Jesse Reno has created a provocative and disturbing dark image here. The skeletal characater appears anguished and impoverished, the effect has been cleverly achieved by the use of vibrant colours interspersing a muddy background. My initial thoughts were that this image had a 'Brazilian' feel.



I think this image of 'Spoiled' looks like a 'Judgement Day for Animals'. An irregular sketch which incorporates both washed and blocks of colour. Linear streaks emphasize the shapes of the foreground characters.



This has a religious feel to it. The characters look like they're in coffins and that some crucifictions have occurred.

No comments: